Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Big Bend (Not Quite Africa)



The slow, yet steady, process of preparing for Africa began Thanksgiving week as my mom and I pushed REI's stock through the roof. A new pack, some water bottles, hiking boots/sandals, and other random gadgets have been graciously contributed to the cause by my loving parents. While much more is to come, this beginning got me extremely excited to say the least and I felt the need to "break-in" all my new gear. 
A slowly diminishing internship schedule allowed for several days off to attempt to simulate the African wild. My good buddy, Matt,  was also looking for an excuse to get away and celebrate his recent acceptance into medical school. We decided upon Big Bend, realizing we had both never been to our state's most famous national park and the rugged desert landscape was just like Africa...right?
While I fully realized that the trip would be "difficult", I did not fully anticipated how physically and emotionally demanding it would be. The steep grades and heavy packs made for weary knees and tired minds. Nights were spent bundled up in sleeping bags attempting to stay warm and dry. Temperatures dropped to very un-Texas like lows in the High Chisos Mountains of Big Bend and the weather decided to bless us with snow. So much for my perfect African simulation! But despite the hardships, moments of sheer and uninhibited joy found their way to our consciousness. Beautiful birds spotted the landscapes and the fearless deer of Big Bend gave us constant companionship while enjoying the most spectacular views I have ever witnessed in my short life. The wildlife and views provided the backdrop for great conversation and time to contemplate my immediate future. 
Ok, my foolish attempt to "simulate" Africa failed. Big Time! But hidden in the failure were some very real and valuable realizations, the biggest of which being the foolishness of expectations. I expected to feel like I was in Africa. I expected to be in the physical shape needed for such a trip. I expected it to be just pure fun. I was wrong on all accounts. I now know that how I think Africa will be, is not how it is. Zambia rests out there, waiting for me and my naive expectation, laughing at the idea that I know what is coming. But now I have a better of idea of not what is coming, but who I need to be. On a physical level, I need to be in better shape...no bell hops are waiting for me! On an emotional level, I need to clear my mind and stop predicting. 
The only thing I do now know for sure about Africa is that it will be the most demanding adventure of my life. And much like Big Bend (on a much smaller scale), the extreme pressure and difficulty will be punctuated with exuberant joy. I think I need this sort of challenge in my life...

Here are some pictures from the Big Bend trip!

The most spectacular view of my life:
















Matt enjoying the snow with our tent in the background:















The "fearless" and HUGE deer of Big Bend:

5 comments:

  1. So it looks like what goes around, comes around. While yes, I was having tea with Taylor Swift in London while you were in Tulsa, now you get to backpack through Big Bend while I study for exams. So let's call it even. Which hopefully means this trade-off will continue and you can tap our when you get back from Zambia and then I will head off on some adventure. Can't wait. Im trying to figure out if I can post video comments on here for when you are gone. Sounds like a christmas break project! See you in less than a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam! Thanks for the comment to my blog. Countdown begins..29 days. Can't wait to meet you and see you in Philly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam Great News that you are on your way to Zambia. This is Brittany's Dad, Brian from Long Island NY and she has been in country for almost a year now. I believe that she will be one of your instructors when you arrive there. You will albsolutly have a great time and a incredible journey ahead of you. If you want any info or need some incouragement drop me a note at Aubins5@aol.com Good Luck Brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! My name is Courtney Ward I am also leaving for Zambia on Monday! Just wanted to say hello and I look forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete